“Strike Is Still On!” Matatu Sector Defies Government

The nationwide matatu strike remains in effect, according to operators in the transport sector, despite earlier indications from the government that progress had been made in resolving the dispute.

Speaking at Transcom House on Monday, Energy CS Opiyo Wandayi said discussions had focused on concerns over fuel adulteration caused by the large price difference between diesel and kerosene. He explained that the government planned to narrow the gap by lowering diesel prices and increasing kerosene prices to reduce the risk of illegal fuel mixing, which has been linked to vehicle damage.

However, matatu sector representatives interrupted the briefing, insisting that no formal agreement had been reached and declaring that the strike would continue.

Transport stakeholders agreed in principle that equalising diesel and kerosene prices could help curb fuel adulteration. Still, the Association of Matatu Transport Owners clarified that talks on reducing diesel prices were unresolved.

Chairperson Kushian Muchiri said only the issue of fuel adulteration had been discussed successfully, adding that another meeting had been scheduled to address diesel pricing. In the meantime, operators and drivers were asked to keep their vehicles off the roads while awaiting further negotiations.

The government also announced that the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA) would publish revised fuel prices later that night.

Despite ongoing discussions, the Matatu Owners Association directed operators to continue the strike into Tuesday, warning that transport disruptions would persist until an agreement is reached.

The prolonged standoff has already stranded thousands of commuters, disrupted businesses, and affected learning activities in several regions across the country.

Check Also

KNCCI Says Fuel Price Increase Will Drive Up Cost of Living

The Kenya National Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KNCCI) has cautioned that the recent rise …