Central Police Station OCS Dishen Angoya has been released unconditionally, according to lawyer Erick Muriuki.
In a statement posted online on Tuesday, Muriuki confirmed that the officer had been freed, although investigations into the matter are still ongoing.
Click here to join our WhatsApp Channel
“The good OCS is finally free. He has been released unconditionally, but investigations will still continue,” Muriuki stated.
He praised Kenyans, especially social media users, for standing in solidarity with the officer and mounting pressure that he said contributed to the release.
“Many thanks to all Kenyans who have shown solidarity. I really thank the online community as well for the pressure that you all have applied. It has helped,” he added.
Muriuki also acknowledged several lawyers and activists who supported the process, including Faith Odhiambo, Caroline Oduor, Levi Munyeri, Gloria Kimani, Rrajab and Senior Anyonka.
Earlier, the National Police Service (NPS) dismissed reports circulating online that claimed the officer was being prepared for arraignment in court.
In a statement released on Tuesday, NPS spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga termed the reports false and misleading, urging Kenyans to verify sensitive information directly with the police before sharing it online.
“The National Police Service wishes to respond to entirely erroneous and misleading social media reports alleging that the Officer Commanding Station (OCS) of Central Police Station, Nairobi, was being processed for a court appearance. This information is incorrect,” Nyaga said.
The clarification came after widespread claims from legal and civil society groups alleged that Chief Inspector Dishen Angoya had been arrested for authorising the release of dozens of people detained during recent stay-away protests in Nairobi.
However, Nyaga maintained that no court processing had occurred and said the police service has internal mechanisms for handling disciplinary matters involving officers.
Angoya had been detained over claims that he unlawfully released dozens of suspects arrested for public order offences.
He spent the night at Lang’ata Police Station after being accused of abuse of office for allegedly freeing 64 suspects on May 18 without legal authority.

The suspects had reportedly been arrested during demonstrations linked to protests against the rising fuel prices.
Nairobi Police Commander Issa Mohamud earlier confirmed that the matter was under internal investigation.
“We are handling the matter internally before we decide the way forward,” he said.
Under police regulations, OCS officers are allowed to release suspects held in custody.
The Lower Eastern Times Opening The Third Eye