The Media Council of Kenya (MCK) has called for swift investigations and prosecution following attacks on journalists covering the Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay on Sunday.
According to the Council, at least eight journalists and two drivers were injured, while media equipment was destroyed or stolen. A vehicle belonging to a media organisation was also set ablaze.
MCK said Francis Mwangi and Evans Okeyo of Mediamax Network sustained serious injuries and had their vehicle burnt during the attacks.
Standard Group journalists Sammy Omingo and Rodgers Otiso were assaulted, while Agence France-Presse journalists Fred Ooko and Brian Ongoro were attacked and their cameras destroyed.
KBC-Mayienga journalist Ken Odiwuor was beaten and had his equipment stolen. Citizen TV journalist Kevin Fraji and his driver were also assaulted, while their vehicle was damaged.
MCK Director of Media Training and Development Victor Bwire urged the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) and the Inspector General of the National Police Service to take action against those responsible.
Bwire said the Council was alarmed by what it described as an increasing pattern of attacks against journalists across the country, including physical assaults, destruction of equipment and online harassment allegedly involving security officers, goons and political party supporters.
He warned that the failure to investigate and prosecute those responsible was creating an increasingly dangerous working environment for journalists and putting media freedom at risk ahead of the 2027 General Election.
MCK said the Homa Bay attacks were part of a broader trend, noting that 18 journalists and at least two drivers from various media organisations had been assaulted and injured over the past two months.
On August 12, Nation Media Group photojournalist Karim Rajan was injured near the Mombasa County Assembly while covering a gathering involving youth and human rights representatives.
Five journalists from Mt Elgon TV were also attacked on July 23 while covering a political aspirant in Kimilili. One of them reportedly sustained serious injuries.
During the Ol Kalou by-election, at least four journalists were physically assaulted and had their equipment confiscated. They included Nation Media Group journalists George Kieru, Brygette Ngana and Fabiola Akinyi, as well as The Star’s Enos Teche.
The Council said the incidents had been documented and reported to the Inspector General of Police, the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) and the ODPP for investigation and prosecution. However, MCK said there had been limited progress in the cases.
The Council urged security agencies and prosecutors to work closely with affected journalists and media organisations to ensure that those responsible are identified and brought to justice.
MCK said attacks on journalists violate constitutional rights, including freedom of expression, human dignity, and the right to freedom and security of the person.
It also pointed to Kenya’s international obligations, including Article 19 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, UNESCO Resolution 29 of 1997 on violence against journalists, and UN Security Council Resolution 1738 of 2006, which calls for the protection of journalists.
Bwire warned that despite Kenya’s legal and international commitments to ensuring journalists can work safely, adequate protection remained lacking.
MCK cautioned that continued impunity could encourage further attacks and undermine media freedom and access to information as the country approaches the 2027 General Election.
The Council has therefore called on the police and ODPP to urgently investigate the reported attacks and ensure that those found responsible are held accountable.
The Lower Eastern Times Opening The Third Eye