A heated exchange erupted at Transcom House on Monday after matatu operators openly disputed claims by Energy CS Opiyo Wandayi that an agreement had been reached on proposed fuel price changes.
During the meeting, Wandayi explained that the government planned to reduce the price gap between diesel and kerosene to help stop fuel adulteration and prevent damage to diesel engines. He said the proposal involved lowering diesel prices while increasing kerosene prices to create a more balanced pricing structure.
The CS added that the discussions had involved the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA) and claimed there was a shared understanding among all parties involved.
However, matatu sector representatives quickly pushed back during the live session, insisting that no final agreement had been reached. They stated that several issues remained unresolved and accused government officials of misleading the public.
One representative said operators had suggested a different pricing proposal ranging between Sh30 and Sh35 and stressed that they had not endorsed the government’s position.
The officials maintained that negotiations were still ongoing and confirmed that the planned matatu strike would continue until a proper agreement is reached.
The standoff highlights growing tensions between the government and public transport operators as Kenyans continue to grapple with the high cost of living, rising fuel prices, and expensive transport fares.
The Lower Eastern Times Opening The Third Eye